Thursday, May 22, 2008

Heading to Asheville

I am heading to Asheville, NC this weekend. I am doing a concert at Merrimon Avenue Baptist Church this Sunday morning at 11. If you are in the area, come over for a visit!

I am excited to see the pastor of the church, Jim Russell. Jim was the pastor of my home church in Boone when I was youngER...probably from the time I was 10 until I was 16 or 17 or so. He and his family left and served as missionaries in Japan for a number of years.

My family is going with me (yessssssss)...we are going to make a fun weekend of it. We will probably head to Boone to see family for a couple of days, too.

Idol. OK. So, I think that David C deserved to win. I just wanted David A to win. But David C gave the most original and memorable performances week after week. After starting so strong, David A created a momentum that was just too hard to keep up for the whole run of the show. But he did a great job on both shows this week. I feel like he did better than David C this week...but taking the whole season into consideration, I think the right guy won.

Even though I didn't feel like this season was as strong as a couple of the others, there were some really amazing performances this year. Imagine, Billie Jean, Hello, Let It Be, Hallelujah. But my favorite performance of the year was Brooke's Love Is A Battlefield. Don't judge me. : >)

There were some bad things about the finale. Like the opening, when they had David and David staring each other down. What was that? So awkward. And speaking of awkward, how about those group numbers? Oh, the glorious group numbers. They bring me almost as much awkward laughter as an episode of The Office. They are just awful. I sometimes have to look away, I feel so bad for the contestants.

There were some great things about the finale, too...like Seal (what a great voice), the duet with Graham Nash and Brooke (awesome...and don't you think "Teach Your Children Well" is a funny song for a nanny to sing?), George Michael - who, even though he has had some issues, is an amazing singer, and David A singing with One Republic (giving us a glimpse that he might indeed have a place in today's pop music scene other than the Disney channel...he sounded great). And of course, it was great to hear my favorite resident rocker chick, Amanda Overmyer tear into Hot Stuff. And how about the Michael Johns / Carly Smithson duet? Woah. That was killer. Possibly the best singing moment of the show.

You all have a great day. Hug those you love if you are with them. And keep praying for the Chapmans. Blessings to you today...

TC

14 comments:

Cindy said...

Yea for Asheville! Just three more days! Can't wait.

I will definitely lift the Chapman family up in prayer.

Cindy in Weaverville

Deidre said...

Oh no! I'm leaving NC this weekend, or I would certainly come hear you. I pray all goes well and you have a blast with your family.

Kelly S. said...

safe travels, and enjoy your family!

Plan to be there Sunday!!!

Jami said...

Yay for coming to North Carolina!:) (especially Boone-Go Mountaineers!) Im tempted to drive to Asheville from Boone for Sun worship-if gas prices werent so high!

I found this video that is so sweet, but brought tears as I watched and thought about what the Chapman family is going thru...I cannot imagine, especially for the son. But I thought I would share...I will be constantly lifting them up to the Lord. Makes me remember to treasure each moment with my family, ya know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B1XM9jWiLI

edub said...

I just HAVE to say that Brooke's "Love Is A Battlefield" is my favorite, too. I cannot get enough of her sweet acoustic version. It was, I confess, my first iTunes download of the season.

Still praying for the Chapmans...

Todd Benkert said...

I'm glad you came to your senses about David C. David A is awesome but Cook is awesomer. Ok, that's not a word, but He is. When Simon started his "rethinking" of his Tuesday comments, I knew Cook had won, even though Simon was mostly right about the finale performances.

I agree with you about the duets, especially Carly/Michael. I think the Wednesday Finale was one of the best. I thought George Michael's song selection was a little dark for the last song of the show before Cook's sing off, even though I love the song. And for the record, the group numbers have always been bad.

For next year, I hope they get rid of the swaying arm girls standing at the stage and put a tighter reign on Paula. For now, Congrats David C. You deserve it!

Heather said...

I am SOOO pumped you have a blog!

I sing with our church choir and we sang Alive Forever Amen and This Is Our God for Easter. I have to say.....God has blessed you with a tremendous gift! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

OK. Idol. HELLO! Best duet? The 'David's' singing 'Hero'. OK..maybe Carly Smithson and Michael John's, too. David C. totally deserved it, but honestly, it didn't matter to me who won. They are both amazing.

I pray you and your family have safe travels. I'll be checking back here often.

Blessings...

Oliver said...

I wish we could head up to Asheville to see you in person, but my church would probably not appreciate my not showing up this Sunday. (At least I hope they might miss me! :) ) Have a safe trip to Asheville and an awesome time. It's going to be beautiful mountain weather.

And, about AI, we were so excited David Cook won. David A. is an incredible singer (often flawless) but we will definitely be buying David C's CD. I think they are both class acts, though. I enjoyed seeing the real emotions last night too!

Have a great weekend, and we will be remembering the Chapman family and praying for strength for them. With our own five-year-old daughter, it hit close to home.

Adam said...

Travis I get the same way when I watch the AI group numbers. I get that nervous laughter.. and then my wife asks way are we even watching this. I couldnt watch the whole finale.. But you gotta love The Office.

Anonymous said...

Yea for David Cook!!! We are living in Tulsa and were instantly pulling for him from very early on. My girls and I screamed loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear. Really would like to see him when he comes but...have you checked out the prices for those tickets?!!!

Would love to see you walk out on stage at our church, Travis! I would scream like those obnoxious girls at Idol. :)

As for the Chapman family, my heart aches for them. I have a friend who partially ran over her 5 yr. old (truck rolled when she leaned over as the child was getting in, knocked her down and rolled up onto her stomach). It took a long time for her to let go of the guilt even though it only ended up breaking her arm. I pray that Stephen's son is able to accept God's peace more quickly.

Check out "In Memory of Maria": http://chapmanchannel.typepad.com/inmemoryofmaria/

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you have a wonderful family holiday weekend!!! Now to AI, I believe there is a difference between a singer and an entertainer--David A. is really a good singer but as an entertainer---boorrring and way too shy. David C. comes across to an audience as warm and genuine. So glad he won! But in the whole scheme of things in this world, AI is about as important as a knat on the wall!!

Daniel Semsen said...

Have a great time buddy!

Anonymous said...

I hope you come back to Asheville sometime or the area. We came over to hear you from west of Asheville and really got a blessing from your music. I did not realize you were from Boone. One of my children went to ASU and another is planning to go there. I enjoy your music. Had planned to come to the Cove last year to see you but failing health of one of my parents prevented us from doing that. Hope you can come back there sometime soon. Have a great summer. We are praying for the Chapman family. That is so sad. Hope you enjoyed being in NC again. DLF

Unknown said...

I am in total agreement as to "Love Is A Battlefield" being the best song for the reason, although I also really, really, liked her rendition of "Jolene", even though it resulted in her being in the bottom 3 the following night. BUT, do you not think Overmeyer looked miserable out of her mind on all of the group songs? I think her inner-monologue was "I cannot believe they are making me sing this."