Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chillin' Like A Villain

Good morning, friends. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I have been home all weekend, which has sent me over-the-top happy. I love to travel, and I love my calling. But after a really long stretch of hard work, it has been nice to just be home and chill this weekend. Wednesday or Thursday I hit one of those walls where I knew that if I didn't get a break soon, I was going to go bazerko. Not sure if that's a word, but I'm not going to look it up. I have already spent too much time figuring out how to spell villain.

I started off the week in Houston, leading worship for the Southern Baptists of Texas Conference, (which gave me the chance to hang out with many great friends). Then I came home and led worship Tuesday through Thursday at the National Christian Women's Leadership Forum at LifeWay, here in Nashville. We had a great time. I've led at that conference pretty much every year since I was 11 or so. Or maybe 30. I don't know. A long time. Anyway, I love it. It's like leading worship for family in many ways.

Tuesday night I did a concert for them, and I gave them a little "Christmas At The Forum" concert. I know...it's a little early for a Christmas concert. But I wanted to change things up a little bit for them this year. And I also wanted to give my new Christmas music a run-through, and practice through all my new Christmas songs. Lily Kate came with me and brought along a friend. They worked as little elves, passing out candy canes to the peeps.




We had a good time.

Once the conference was over, I went into chill mode and have been home ever since. When the kids went to bed Thursday night, a buddy of mine and I played Mario Kart Wii until the wee small hours of the morning. Something tells me I'm too old to be doing that. But I just tell that something to go away and bother some other middle-aged worship leader. I'm not listening.

Then on Friday, I could hardly wait for the kids to get out of school. IT'S FRIDAY AND I'M HOME! LET'S DO SOMETHING FUN! So, we went to Mellow Mushroom in downtown Franklin and had some pizza for dinner. Then we did what our family loves to do best: we went to Target. We wandered around the Christmas aisles. It was better than seeing the decorations at Opryland Hotel. Well, maybe not. No...YES it was. It was better. Target is always better.

We left with a $1.00 jump rope, some hot chocolate, a bag of marshmallows and a new copy of "Elf" (we wear a copy out every year).

We came home, made the hot chocolate, and watched Elf. And by "we" I mean "they" watched it. I was asleep by the end of the beginning credits. Mario Kart got the best of me.

Inspired by our friends at the Target, we got up Saturday morning, put on Christmas music, pulled out the decorations and put up our Christmas tree. I know. It's obnoxiously early. But leave us alone...it's how we roll, yo. And Ooo, it was fun. Football on the TV in the background (yes, there was music playing AND football on at the same time), friends coming in and out of the house...it was a sanguine's dream Saturday.

Although I must say that I had some choice thoughts about the makers of the pre-lit tree. They give you these replacement fuses and light bulbs to use in case a strand of lights goes out. Only they don't tell you that you will never find where the burned out light or fuse is. And then they will proceed to wrap and fasten those strands so tightly and securely onto the tree that you will eventually want to jump out a window in frustration over trying to JUST GET A TREE FULL OF PROPERLY OPERATING LIGHTS.

Actually it wasn't that bad. I thought at first that it was going to send me over the edge. But there were only a couple of strands I had to contend with. And I think it's the first time in our family's history that we started AND finished our Christmas tree on the same day. Woo hoo.

I have the cutest little five-year-old who has snuck down the stairs and plopped himself beside me. So I'm going to put this computer down and go have some fun with him. Happy Sunday to you all...

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, you really are too old for that. ;)

Cindy said...

Sounds like you have had have a blast this weekend! You definitely deserve it. I thought of you a week or so ago when I was looking at Christmas decorations at Wally-World. I wondered if you had your tree up yet or not. There is a family that lives out the road from us who has had their tree up since the day after Halloween. Now that's fast.

Have a great, lazy Sunday.

Cindy in Weaverville

Anonymous said...

A few things:

1. Did you master the Rainbow Road course on Mario Kart, because if you did, I need to be taught your mad skills.

2. I'm so proud of you for putting up your Christmas tree already! I had mine up at this time last year too. I hope the lights stay lit through the whole season so you don't have to jump out a window.

3. I, too, wear out a copy of Elf each year...glad to know I'm not the only one.

Have a great Sunday!

Laura said...

So glad to hear from you! It is always refreshing for me to hear from other busy families this time of year. We have 5 of 11 trees up and decorated! Yes, we are a little Christmas Crazy!

So, so glad you have enjoyed a well-deserved weekend at home!

Anonymous said...

I love that your cute little 5 year ole came down to snuggle as early as he did! My favorite is when they do that! I also put my tree up early and my lights, its how we roll...I finally got over everyones complaint about my Christmas descision! hey I'm thankful for Christmas and the Son of God coming to earth, I will thank Him on Thanksgiving..and eat my turkey meal!!!LOL..
Love your post and letting us in on your wonderful weekend! Tiff

Rachel said...

sounds like a totally fun, chillin' time...and I'm so glad ya'll share my love of Target! Best store, ever!

Fran said...

Actually, I'm headed to Target now.
Its therapy for me...especially with a Starbucks inside. Its heaven! :)

Merry Christmas!
Fran

lavonda said...

That weekend sounds like a dream. Love it!

We have friends in Franklin... been to that Mellow Mushroom (on a Friday night no less! But passing the wait sitting outside on those old steps of that building next door with the columns was pretty nice) and also been to that Target near there. That's a beautiful area you live in, for sure. Probably one of my favorite parts of this country I've been to.

Also, walking around that Battle Ground area was nice. and some area kind of near there where my step-son was filming some kind of movie --- the hills, the horses, the old houses --- BREATHTAKING.
How can anyone see all that and not believe in God???

Glad you're having a great weekend.
and also glad worship leaders are just like the rest of us! :)

hisfivefooter said...

Happy Sunday to you also friend! Nothing beats Home, does it? I believe that feeling of wishing and wanting to be home and the wonderful feeling of being there, is what God puts in us for Him. On the verge of sounding totally sappy and ridiculously cheesy, I believe that Home is not where, it's who. The amazing marvelous Person. Just like you feel with your family! Love it!
Lisa in Kirkland, WA

Jennifer said...

I loved your leadership in Houston! REally glad you got a restful weekend in.

Kelli said...

I was just inspired to pop in ELF and I too am putting up my Christmas tree this week!

Sarah said...

My 5 yr old whoops me in MarioKart. I need to start practicing after she goes to bed.

Christmas cannot be denied this year. Your cd had a little bit to do with it for me, talked about it here: http://themommylogues.blogspot.com/2008/11/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

Wags said...

Alright Travis, I'm coming out from being a TCM Blog lurker to tell you that I was seriously impressed with LK's Holland souvenir from her Daddy. After her weekly greeting to her choir teacher (in which she runs up to tell me that Ms. Heather and Pastor Reagan are crabby and then runs off to join her little friends who are off in a corner giggling at her...) I told her she had on a cute dress. She was quick to tell me that it was from Holland and not The Children's Place like I thought. :) What a cool Dad! :)

Profbaugh said...

Okay, I admit it. I have my Christmas tree up too. My friends have already made fun of me. Glad to know I'm in good company with you and the other folks who have commented here.

Another Christmas freak,
~Cheryl

Daniel Semsen said...

dude. For some reason I can NEVER get out of Target for under $60 bucks. I mean...no matter how hard I try, things just plop themselves into my cart and force me to buy them.

It's a disease.

Your weekend sounds awesome...

Patty said...

I am laughing my head off right now over this post. I went to a private sale at Best Buy last Sunday night and I hogged the Wii and played Mario Kart. I am older than you by a few years and I am not listening to the middle aged voice either.

I have my entire home decorated for Christmas. I love Christmas and I don't care if it is early but I do find myself apologizing for doing so, but I love it so there. :)

Target. LOVE Target and we go in there to wander around and usually get a bag of Target popcorn to eat as we walk around. I think Target could give Opryland a run for their money. :))

Enjoy your week and your tree.

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Isn't it amazing how Target unites us all. I mean, who doesn't LOVE Target?

We put some lights on an outside tree last night, but I can't get my hubby on board with putting up the tree quite yet. So we're going to continue with the day after Thanksgiving tradition.

(And my prelit tree has multiple strands of other lights on it now for the very reason you mentioned.)

BTW, your elves were adorable and looked like they were having a ball!

Joanne

fuzzytop said...

Oh my goodness, I don't even know where my Christmas decorations are.... I wasn't even thinking about putting the tree up until day after Thanksgiving. In our family, our tradition is leaving the tree up way too long - either because we just like them so much or are too unmotivated to take them down. One year my mom still had her tree up at Easter - not kidding :o)

Thanks for sharing your weekend

Adrienne

P.S. I agree Bazerko is a word, but I think you have to spell it "bezerko" *grin*
P.P.S I think Granny is getting our kids a Wii for Christmas, so I'll be looking for the Mario Kart!

Rebecca said...

What a fun weekend!! Isn't it wonderful to be home with you family and to make such great memories? Your post made me think of the old movie 'Holiday Inn'. It is a great watch if you have never seen it.

Merry Christmas!
rebecca in e.tx

lavonda said...

Elf is our Favorite Christmas movie!! We just discovered it last year, and totally burned through a dvd. Even made out of town family watch it with us, and then loaned it to friends so they could know what we were talking about.
My favorite line is in the dept store... "Santa?? I KNOOOW HIM!!!"

Alicia (dna) said...

Travis,
I love your thoughts about the pre-lit tree. You had me laughing and relating for sure, because we spent almost an hour unstringing one string of lights on a pre-lit tree this weekend. I was ready to put the tree in the trash and go buy a new one.

But then I had rational thoughts about the economy...and decided to just spend $5 on a new string of lights!

Marla Taviano said...

What a cozy little post! Lily Kate and her friend are adorable. Love Elf. Love Mellow Mushroom.

Now. My hubby has a podcast interview scheduled with you for Wednesday. When he told me, I was all excited. "Travis Cottrell?! Really?! How fun!"

Then he starts pestering me, "If you like Travis Cottrell's music so much, why do you keep listening to your Sandi Patty Christmas CD? I'm going to tell Travis."

Well. I do love my SP Christmas CD, because we listed to that cassette a bazillion times every Christmas when I was little(that and Truth and Christine Wyrtzen), so it brings back fuzzy memories.

If he mentions it during the interview, just know that we listen to your CD all the time too. And I think you should break out in "The Gift Goes On" just to trip him up.

Anonymous said...

I think you and my hubby were separated at birth or something. He has the same overwhelming need to FIX the pre-lit tree lights. I just figure, okay I'll put more lights over the blank spot and no one will notice.

Heather said...

I say "Bezerko" all the time! It is definitely a word! Hope you guys have a blessed holiday!