Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Checking In

Your TV drama show comments were awesome. Thanks for commenting. Lots of you are watching Lost, 24, and House, to name a few. Hats off to those of you who actually admitted that Christy was one of your favorite dramas of all time. That took some guts. I've never even laid my eyes on one episode of that show. I wasn't even sure if it was ever on actual TV.

It's an AMAZING day here in Franklin, TN. It's currently 52 degrees. I'm about to have my quiet time on the back porch with a hoodie on. More happiness than I can stand.

I have a busy weekend ahead. I am at the International Mission Board on Thursday night and Friday morning in Richmond, VA. Then I'm heading to Clearwater for a Saturday worship conference and Sunday night concert at Calvary Baptist. I'm looking forward to both of those places.

I would be grateful for your prayers for my vocal and physical strength. I've been having some vocal issues lately, so yesterday I went to the Vanderbilt Voice Center to get checked out. Hallelujah, my vocals cords look healthy and are working well. My troubles are not fatigue (which is a huge THANK YOU, LORD)...just allergies. So this week I am starting to knock those bad boys down off their allergy high horse with all manner of vitamins and healthy blah blah blah and more water than I ever care to drink.

I must admit that I went to the doctor because I was really alarmed. I have been having this very painful pain (can you say that?) in one spot of my neck / throat. It is sore to the touch and certainly painful when I sing. I didn't know what it could be, or if it was tied to my vocal fatigue in any way. I had a few vain imaginings of worst-case scenarios, so that's why I finally went to the doctor. It turns out that I have a pulled or stressed muscle in my neck. Not tied to my voice at all. Woo hoo! A big relief and a huge answer to prayer. It will get better with time.

So in summary, my voice still does need prayer. But it's not damaged or unhealthy in any way. Just trying to work in the midst of a sea of allergies. Barley Green, here I come.

I was going to ask you to pray for the trouble I've been having with my knees. But I can't bring myself to talk about it on the heels of a post where I said the last drama I watched on TV was Dallas in 1983. What am I, 85? Don't answer that.

I gotta go. The Price Is Right will be on in an hour. And then I have to work on my post about Luby's and Matlock. Oh, and then there's lunch at 10:30.

31 comments:

Rachel said...

will continue to pray!!!

Cynda P said...

Oh my! I haven't thought of Luby's in years. I used to go there with my great-grandmother when I was a little girl.

Shelly said...

Knee, throat, neck...check

Greens...check

Upcoming 85th birthday party...check

:)

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Praying for your voice AND your knees. I will be seeing you and Beth and the crew in Memphis next weekend!!! I cannot wait~it's going to be an amazing time.

I gotta just say~my sister Debi got to meet you in Orlando at the Deeper Still event a few weeks ago. I am a tad bit envious~would love to get to meet the whole praise at the Mem. event, but I'll just be happy with getting to be there.

God bless you {and your vocals} today!!!

Daniel Semsen said...

HAHAHAHA...don't forget Remington Steele at 1:30 on channel 4!

Hm. You ARE old. Why haven't I made fun of you for that lately?

wendinc said...

if you by chance meet Larry and Peggy Carnes in Richmond (IMB) give them a hug and tell them they're loved and missed and prayed for! (they would only know me by last name of Greemon) and this is Wendi Weir by the way.. And I'm so over the top pleased that your vocal chords are not in any danger of going sour!! PTL!!!

Deirdre said...

so glad it's not really your vocal cords that hurt. So so so glad!

will keep praying for you anyway though. And no you are not old. I'm going to be 40 in just a few weeks time so you can not possibly be old.

Kelly S. said...

Hallelujah! indeed! I am glad all is well, and I will be praying for you and your family.

Christy is a good show, and the re-runs can be found on the Gospel Music Channel. We love it, but we are hillbillies! Parts of the show were filmed about an hour from where we live.

Sherri M - NH said...

Hi Travis,

I will sooo pray for you and your voice and knees...I will lift you up to our Lord and Savior!

Thanks for bringing joy to my day with your blog. I am so sad that I'm all the way up in New England and I have to wait until October 2010 to see & hear you again. Isn't there something we can do about that year long wait? Don't you want to come worship with us New Englander's a little sooner - we are not all the frozen chosen.

Enjoy your time on the back porch:)

AMENMom said...

Don't knock The Price is Right. Drew Carey has made that show HIP.

See you in Memphis!

Judy said...

Don't forget supper at 4:30 for the early-bird specials!

WILLOW TREE said...

Praise God! You have a might gift, that reaches untold multitudes with the love of Christ; so glad to hear it was nothing serious, but of course praying for healing and relief!

Lunch at 10:30? I have breakfast then. But hoodies on the backporch in fall? Amen.

Blessings, C~

boomama said...

WE LOVE YOU, PAPAW.

Heather in CA said...

Thank you for making me laugh out loud!!! Hilarious! ...and thank you for...what 3 posts in a week??? Wowee!

Susan said...

I am thankful that you voice is alright. You are such a great blessing. Will be praying for your allergies, neck, and knees.

Susan C

ocean mommy said...

Cracking up at the Luby's comment, but seriously...

Just came from the LPM blog and headed to the floor to pray!

I really think God must have some incredible plans for Memphis next weekend. Seems like each and every person going is being bombarded with "stuff". Wow.

Praying for health and restoration of that voice and protection as you travel this week!

Blessings,
stephanie

Daughter of the King said...

Just got the whole DVD set of the Christy series. I forgot how good it was. I've just started watching them but enjoying them just as much the second time around. Sure beats what TV has to offer these days.

Susan T-V said...

Will be praying for you - can't wait for you to sing in Clearwater!!! You can probably leave the hoodie at home though :-) . God bless you and your family, brother.

Anonymous said...

Will pray love your voice what a blessing it is! Thank you
Liz Hinze

Anonymous said...

I live in Richmond - I was so jealous to see the IMB event is a closed one, but Praise God for the event there. Praying for you!

Wendy
Mechanicsville, VA

Deidre said...

Wait a minute - that's two posts in a week, Travis! What on earth?

Seriously, I am praying for you!

Three Fold Cord said...

I am right there with ya on the more happiness then you can stand!! I sat outside while the kids were napping today with a blanket. LOVE the Fall. Looking forward to seeing you in Memphis. Well, now that I think about it I probably will only see you and hear you but hey if it is anything like ATL it will be heavenly! Loving your family. Praying for you as you continue to follow Him wherever HE may go!

Fran said...

You are loved and we are praying for you!!!! And, we all have at least 10 ailments...we just won't admit it.

See you in Memphis.

hisfivefooter said...

Praying for you physically. Satan loves to scare us, doesn't he? He just ticks me off- The heat is being turned up all over, don't despair, it means we're winning! Sweet Amanda's post on the 30th of September helped with perspective. If your knees hurt, I'm assuming it's cause you spend so much time on them! :) At 85, it's hard to get up off of them! All joking aside, I have been praying for all of you and will continue to do so.
Lisa in Kirkland, WA

laura said...

Travis, you are hilarious!
We will definitely be praying for your chords. :)
If you get a chance, check out our blog...we have a little bit of news to share...

Gran Jan said...

Travis - I am so glad you checked in with this post, and glad that I decided to check in too.

I praise God with you for that good report, and know you will continue to take good care of those vocal chords. God USES your giftedness for His glory in the church - the body of Christ, and to all of us crazy nutty Siestas...yes He does!

I didn't weigh in on the TV drama post, but I'll tell you this: Jack Bauer rocks my world. I love 24. In fact, we are going to the beach next week and I've got some "24 series" to take with me...you can get past series at Target pretty reasonably!

Love to the Cottrells -

Georgia Jan

Laura said...

Praying for you.

May the LORD richly bless you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh oh oh Do you ever have me in stitches with the Price is Right, etc. LOL too too funny

I hope that you feel better soon!

(I originally had Wheel of Fortune...see how old age gets to ya?)

Margie by the Sea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margie by the Sea said...

I found myself smiling today remembering how very much we were blessed by you, and your wonderful gift of song and praise, at the Deeper Still Orlando event.
May God continue to heal you and to watch over you and the whole team. You are in my prayers.