Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Met An Old Friend For The First Time

This morning I am heading home from a whirlwind trip to Lancaster, PA for the National Worship Leader's Conference. Great conference. The team and I continued our new pattern of coming in from different places, which still feels a little weird (most of them from Nashville, some from Orlando, me from Memphis). We used to all be in Nashville. God has been uprooting us all in different ways, and now we are coming from lots of different directions. Wherever we come from, it's always could to be with my ministry family. I love them.

I was excited to minister at the conference. I'm always pumped for the privilege to minister to worship leaders. Of course, in light of my new work at my new church, that kind of ministry has a whole new light shed on it.

I was also pumped about this trip because I got to meet this guy and his sweet wife. I met Adam through his blog a few years ago. He and Karen blogged very transparently and powerfully about their sweet son, Gavin, and his struggles with Mitochondrial disease. Angela and I prayed often for Gavin and for them, as I know many of you did. I blogged about them, and received many sweet comments from you about praying for them. After a brave battle, Gavin went to be with Jesus last November.

Anyway, after a couple of years of communicating with Adam through blogs and tweets, I finally got to meet them both face to face.


We had a great visit. After the first few weird moments of sitting and talking with someone you know but you don't really know, we ended up talking like old friends. I got to hear about their sweet 6 year old, Madi. And they also shared their amazing story of their process to adopt a child from the foster care system, with special needs. What an amazing testimony these people have!

What a strange world we live in. How cool it is to be able, through these insignificant blogs and tweets and blah blah blah, to be able to meet all kinds of people...pray for them...be encouraged by them...laugh with them. And in those seasons when we find ourselves on a road marked with suffering, to know there is a community of friends out there knocking on the door of heaven on your behalf...that's pretty great.

8 comments:

Kristi Butler said...

Precious.

And always know that I am knocking on that door on your behalf...and your family!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I checked out both Adam's blog and their family blog and read all about their beautiful son Gavin. As a mother I am heartbroken at reading their story and am reminded how truly precious our life is. I am also reminded that this precious life is temporary and that our real life begins in heaven. What a comfort to know that little Gavin is running and playing with other angels in Heaven at the feet of Jesus. I will be praying for this beautiful family and for their new journey in adoption.
Thanks again.

CAROL LIVIN FOR GOD said...

That was to Precious
Thank You Lord for this blog and Thank you for Travis and His Family Lord watch over them and continue to give all of us strength for the journey.
Blessing to you sweet brother
Praying for you and your family
Glad we have the internet to be able to pray for people.
Carol

Fran said...

You are the one who introduced me to them through their journey with Gavin and I continue to follow them through this new season of life! So thankful to pray for them and encourage them from "afar."

Hope you are home safely and back with your precious family!

Blessings~
Fran

Daniel Semsen said...

I bet he pooped his pants.

Cynda P said...

I, too, have a "friend" that I met on the blogosphere. Her son also is a victim of mito, although he is still living with it. I pray for them and grieve for them as if we were dear friends. I love how our Savior brings us together and uses everything for His purposes!

Kelly S. said...

That is the coolest thing!!! I remember this family well, and have prayed for them many times. I am constantly amazed how God uses the internet, to connect believers. I just met up with one of my Siestas this week :)

Deirdre said...

I think the whole thing is a great model of the church - a constant stream of encouragement and prayers. People connecting based on one thing - a shared love of Christ.