Wednesday, July 28, 2010

God’s Purpose or Mine?

This is today's entry from Oswald Chambers' My Utmost For His Highest. Have a blessed day...and enjoy the PROCESS.

July 28, 2010
He made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side . . . —Mark 6:45

We tend to think that if Jesus Christ compels us to do something and we are obedient to Him, He will lead us to great success. We should never have the thought that our dreams of success are God’s purpose for us. In fact, His purpose may be exactly the opposite. We have the idea that God is leading us toward a particular end or a desired goal, but He is not. The question of whether or not we arrive at a particular goal is of little importance, and reaching it becomes merely an episode along the way. What we see as only the process of reaching a particular end, God sees as the goal itself.
What is my vision of God’s purpose for me? Whatever it may be, His purpose is for me to depend on Him and on His power now. If I can stay calm, faithful, and unconfused while in the middle of the turmoil of life, the goal of the purpose of God is being accomplished in me. God is not working toward a particular finish— His purpose is the process itself. What He desires for me is that I see “Him walking on the sea” with no shore, no success, nor goal in sight, but simply having the absolute certainty that everything is all right because I see “Him walking on the sea” ( Mark 6:49 ). It is the process, not the outcome, that is glorifying to God.
God’s training is for now, not later. His purpose is for this very minute, not for sometime in the future. We have nothing to do with what will follow our obedience, and we are wrong to concern ourselves with it. What people call preparation, God sees as the goal itself.
God’s purpose is to enable me to see that He can walk on the storms of my life right now. If we have a further goal in mind, we are not paying enough attention to the present time. However, if we realize that moment-by-moment obedience is the goal, then each moment as it comes is precious.

10 comments:

pinkdaisyjane said...

Thank you for reminding me why I love Oswald Chambers so very much!

Blessings!

Momma Jensen said...

Travis, thank you. I needed to read that this morning.

"His purpose is for me to depend on Him and on His power now. If I can stay calm, faithful, and unconfused while in the middle of the turmoil of life, the goal of the purpose of God is being accomplished in me."

This one smacked me right between the eyes. I have never read this book, I think I ought to be wandering over to the church library to check it out.

Have a blessed week!

Sherri M - NH said...

Thank you...I just received some disappointing news and this puts it all in perspective for me. God is so good...ALL THE TIME!

greentub said...

Dang. Does this hit home!

Unknown said...

What we see as only the process of reaching a particular end, God sees as the goal itself." Thank you for this great reminder, Travis. Too often we focu on what we perceive to be the end result, rather than to see that God is with us and guiding us all the way. And that is his intention: that we trust him on the journey. I will have to use this in my sermon Sunday! So thank you and thank God for that, too!

molly b. said...

this spoke to me in so many ways...thank you for sharing.

Heather J. said...

Hi Travis,
Just a note of thanks for bringing worship to J-ville tonight. We truly appreciate the ministry that ya'll do.

God's purpose of...Intention lined up with obedience = Pure Worship - was displayed at Westside Baptist.

Much Thanks,
Heather J.

Linda said...

I'm a few days late being able to read this, but exactly what I needed to hear today! Talk about a "now" Word ... thanks for sharing.

Linda

Katrina said...

Yes! I lead a Bible study at a treatment center for women with addictions. I often remind them it's not always just about the destination, it's about the journey. Looking forward to worshiping our Savior with you next week in Lexington. The women from the treatment center will be there-thanks to the Great Banquet program. Would love to hear you sing Pocket Full of Rocks new single-Come As You Are.

Enjoy the journey!

Katrina said...

Yes! I lead Bible study at a treatment center for women with addictions and often remind them it's not always just about the destination, many times it's about the journey. Looking forward to worshiping our Savior with you in Lexington next week. The women from the center will be there-thanks to the Great Banquet program! Would love to hear you sing Pocket Full of Rocks new single-Come As You Are.

Enjoy the journey!