Friday, December 7, 2007
Hey, everybody...hope you all are having a great week. I am in Houston. I have been here since Wednesday. I am singing in a Christmas program at a church down here. We have two performances on Saturday and one on Sunday. I am excited about it! Nobody throws a Texas-sized Christmas program like Dick Hill. Dick is the worship pastor here at Champion Forest Baptist. Dick is also my "worship daddy." He has had, over the years, more influence on me as a worship leader than anybody else. He is THE BEST. And I love spending this time with him.
This is my second year in a row to do their Christmas program with them. And Dick does a really smart thing: after rehearsals all week, he gives everybody Friday off to rest. Smart, huh? So nobody has to sing or do anything involving the program, in order that we can all rest up.
I love coming to Houston...some of my best friends in the world live here. So it's a great chance to see them, eat some great food, and have a fun time.
Angela and the kids are coming here on Saturday to join me. And they are going to love the program. We don't have these huge production-kind-of-Christmas programs in Nashville. The kids are going to flip out when they see one of the kings ride in on an elephant. Yes I just said that.
OK...some random stuff from the past week:
- My family and I have discovered the joy that is Marble Slab Creamery. Oh, yes. Thank you, Lord. Even my no-dairy wife has developed a thing for the sweet cream flavor. Run, don't walk. Unfortunately, you will likely see the fruit of this new love the next time you see me. Ouch.
- Lily Kate prayed for Miss LaToe last week. Think about it. Say that name fast.
- I stood in the checkout line at Hobby Lobby beside Carrie Underwood last week. She bought a Christmas tree and 3 scarecrows (which were 90% off for the post-Thanksgiving Day sale). Even idols love a good bargain.
By the way, I went to Hobby Lobby 3 times that day, fighting with Christmas lights. Christmas lights are beautiful. And evil. And no man should ever have to go to Hobby Lobby 3 times in one decade, much less one day.
- Speaking of American idol...our very own Mandisa was nominated for a grammy yesterday! Can you believe it? I am so excited!! I will never get a grammy nomination myself...but I can say that my former secretary did!! Woo hoo!
- I start work on a Christmas CD in January. We are busy picking songs...new and traditional. Dang. I have TOO MANY songs I want to put on this project. Christmas music is my favorite music.
- Speaking of Christmas music, I just found another new Christmas cd that I love. It's Mel Torme, and it's called Christmas Songs. My friend Brad Day (worship pastor at a church in Mississippi where I did a Christmas concert last weekend) got me hooked on it. It's awesome. If you can, go to iTunes and download it.
I also just downloaded the soundtrack to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, featuring Burl Ives. It's awesome.
- Everybody PLEASE watch The Next Great American Band tonight on Fox (8 eastern, 7 central). My buddy Denver and his band, Denver and the Mile High Orchestra are STILL ON. They are in the top 5. We find out tonight whether or not he makes it to the final four. According to the spoilers on the web, he does (cough, cough). So please watch, and PLEASE VOTE more than usual tonight. If they make it to the top three, they are in the finale.
- My alma mater, Appalachian State University, is in the semi-finals of the Division 1-AA national tournament tonight. Go APP!
You guys have a great weekend...